Saturday, November 24, 2007

Chef's: Doctors of the Future

Just got back from being on-air doing my segment, Eat Right, Now on the local CBS affiliate.
These appearances have been going on for the last 15 years because I stood for something.
Food is medicine, just as Hippocrates, the father of medicine, said in 400 BC.
I'd say we've strayed a tad.

Today I cooked an Indian street dish of curried turkey, with grated ginger, garlic, soy sauce, red and green peppers, cilantro, fennel seed, green onions, then topped it with a large dollop of low fat plain organic yogurt. Then I tossed it all with Soba noodles made from Buckwheat so those who are gluten intolerant can still enjoy their pasta. The dish is a riot of appealing colors.

AS I arrived at the TV studio at 7 AM this morning I noticed they had another chef on in the 6-7 AM slot. There is plenty of room for everyone. His name is Bruce Starr, and he is the executive chef of McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant. We gravitated towards each other, extended hands and made introductions. Our conversation extended to outside the studio door where we both agreed that if ALL American chef used their podium to promote better eating habits and ingredients, we could change the world. Half the population eats out 75% of the time, so we have a captive audience. I like this guy's attitude. He sees the future and that restaurants are getting more crowded than ever.

Conclusive scientific research has proven, without the shadow of a doubt, that trans-fats cause heart disease and High Fructose Corn Syrup causes obesity and diabetes, ...so why serve them?
If we know heavy cream causes heart attackes, take it off the bloody menu.
Chefs can be the solution to out American health plagues, not part of the problem.
So, before Chef Bruce and I parted ways, we admitted we need to do something to turn the tide.
I was proud to have met him as I have not kept up getting to know all the great new chefs in town.

No comments: