Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sacrifice Doesn't Exist When Cooking Health

Well, the TV show went well this weekend. I demonstrated my famous Apple Cider Oatmeal with Omega 3 & 6 essential fatty acids we need for heart health. I used steel cut oats because our Quaker buddies processes the goodness out of the once nutritious oats. Might as well eat the box. I swear, those executives check their brains at the door when they come to work.

WISHTV.com/features/recipes/chef Wendell. Lots of recipes.

Now I use Organic Steel Cut oats that take a bit more time to cook, but nothing good comes from anything instant. Slow down, folks, and smell the oatmeal.

I used sweet apple cider as my liquid medium, then towards the end I added cinnamon, cranberries, blueberries, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of fibrous wheat germ to keep the pipes flowing. Finally, I topped it with chopped walnuts, loaded with the Omega's. What a tremendous way to start your day.

Sandi and I also like to eat Tacos, but the corn shells on the grocers shelves always have trans-fats in them. Several days ago, Sandi came home with a box of taco shells and I immediately picked it up to read the ingredients label, not the nutrition label. Wow! No trans-fats, so lets' have some tacos for Sunday lunch. The brand is Garden of Eatin', Yellow Corn Taco Shells.

First I put in the seasoned meat , topped it with cheese and put it in a pre-heated oven for a few minutes for the cheese to set. Then we topped them with diced red onion, tomato and shredded romaine. See, you do not have to sacrifice your favorite foods to maintain your health.

I browned off some LIGHTLIFE original meatless veggie crumbles and added cumin, chile powder, and coriander to it with a little sea salt and pepper.

Taco Hell, as I call them serves meat filling cut with textured vegetable protein, and the re-fried beans are loaded with artery coating pig fat. If you need to use re-fried beans, look for the vegetarian version that doesn't use lard; the fat of a dead barn animal.

Bon Appetite'
Chef Wendell

No comments: