Monday, July 28, 2008

Trans-Fats-A Country in Denial


To illustrate the ugliness that money changes peoples values, there is a nutritionist I bump into occasionally who works for a grocry chain and the soy council that constantly berates me when I talke negatively about trans fats. One day she got so infuriated that she danced up and down, red faced with spittle coming out of her mouth. She wanted to know where I got my information regarding trans-fats as well as High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). I told her the FDA and the USDA and she vehemently asserted they are all wrong. I can certainly sympathize with the nutritionist also paid by a grocer that carries millions of dollars worth of product loaded with trans fats and HFCS. Historically, money distorts ones thinking. We should be committed to despensing the latest, incouraging health news, hot off the griddle.
I am pleased to announce that the State of California just became the first state to ban artery clogging trans fats from restaurant food. On December 5, 2006, the Board of Health approved an amendment to the Health Code to phase out artificial trans fat in all NYC restaurants and other food service establishments. It is now in full effect.

Chef Wendell

No comments: